Monday, July 13, 2009

Take Twittorati for a Test Drive. You'll Buy It.

Thanks to a nudge from Ron Callari, I tested out Twittorati over the weekend. It’s a new search service that can retrieve real-time Twitter postings from Technorati’s Top 100 bloggers (more bloggers will be added to the search function later.)

I’d been messing around with Facebook Business Pages all morning and was very frustrated, so I thought I’d TwitSearch “Facebook” to see what the Twittorati were experiencing. After just one use, Twittorati earned its place in my search repertoire.

Chris Brogan tweeted that he'd set up his own Facebook Business Page improperly, and was paying the price (Chris! I feel your pain!) Michael Arrington at TechCrunch said, "One thing I’ll grudgingly grant to MySpace - the site works. That’s more than I can say for Facebook over the last month or so." Memo to Me: Maybe I'm not an idiot after all.

Twittering along, I stumbled into the murky waters of "who owns what?" TechDirt discussed Power.com's lawsuit to prevent Facebook from blocking outside access to its (our?) very proprietary data locked on 40,000 servers. The controvery was covered in Mashable, too. Memo to Me: Think (again) about who owns what and blog later.

SearchEngine Land noted that “fan pages” are constructed in such a way that it's actually possible for a Facebook fan page to Google-up before a company's official website. Memo to Me: What's a "website" anyway? Discuss FB Business Page option with clients.

During a TechCrunch-up, Chris Cox said Facebook is "testing a bunch of versions of the home page .. balancing the aggregated view with the real-time view .. creating a model for what we want to know about our friends." Memo to Me: He's from Facebook and he's here to help me. Why do I feel so queasy?

Meanwhile, Mashable reports that, in 2009, MySpace revenues are projected to be more than twice those of Facebook. Memo to Me: The jury's been instructed, but it's still out. Take a deep breath and Tweet again in the morning.

-- scrubbed by Marketing Brillo

No comments: