Friday, May 15, 2009

Google AdSense Embraces Pork Spending

On May 2, I blogged about Smithfield, the Swine Flu, and the genius of pigs. Hey, I’m not the only one crying “Fowl!” Rolling Stone eviscerated Smithfield in December 2006. But the pork industry was apparently none too pleased with my blog. For a week, AdSense was hogging my blog with huge 4-color ads that announced “Pork Is Safe.” I think it was the work of the National Pork Board for which I don’t blame them. It’s their job and I’m sure they’re paid well to do it. But, gosh guys. I’m a vegetarian and your ads made my own blog smell like a pig pen. But I learned something: Visits from the enemy are the price of AdSense. I didn’t know it, but I accept it. I'm free to blog what I like but – since I'm trolling for dough, aka "selling out" -- my adversaries can Pay to Shout. All’s fair in the media wars ... 'cept now I know how Fox News felt when Obama ran his election ads. A little queasy.

1 comment:

Jrahn said...

It's time for some companies to buy advertising space on your blog on their own.
The more you blog, the more popular you will become, and the more ad space you can sell - without the pesky swine scent attached. Keep up the good work!