Magdalena Georgieva who blogs for Hubspot has written Mastering the Design and Copy of Calls-to-Action, a great little primer with tried-and-true (and easy) tips.
Here are seven design strategies that encourage action:
- Make it big 'cause you want to get noticed.
- Use "special effects" that grab attention: color, contrast, white space.
- Feature the call-to-action above the fold so readers don't have to hunt.
- Make your call-to-action button stand out by using a contrasting color.
- Try interactive effects like the hover animation or zoom-in/zoom-out.
- Try unconventional shapes (rare, asymmetrical, out-of-the-ordinary) to capture the eye.
- Point to the call by using arrows, eyeballs, or any other graphic that forces the visitor to look.
Download Hubspot's Free Guide to Mastering the Design and Copy of Calls-to-Action here.