Wednesday, June 6, 2012

In a Flourish of Solopreneurship, This Artist Uses Social Media to Sell Direct


Dora Woodrum's Twitter introduction says, "Hello! My name is Dora. I am a contemporary abstract artist from Cleveland, Ohio. I paint original abstract and contemporary paintings, landscapes, and much more. to view my painting please take a look at my website: nicemodernart.com."

I don't know Dora personally. I do know that, according to Twitter, she has 31,092 followers, but follows only 7,646. Granted, automated progams like TwitterListBuilder or TweetBuilder can put anybody's count through the roof, but, in my observation, that particular Twit game generally ends up with equal parts follower and following. So, Dora would appear to be playing the social media game rather well.

She also has a Facebook page: Dora Woodrum Art. There you'll find photos and evidence of the 1,354 "likes" her page has garnered. So, yes, somebody has been efficiently building this gal's online presence.

Meanwhile, her LinkedIn profile notes that 11 of her paintings will be seen in Hello, I Must Be Going, a Sundance film festival pick scheduled to be released in theaters September 7, 2012. Impressive!

Maybe selling art on Twitter works for Dora Woodrum and maybe it doesn't. Online art and craft sales have worked for Etsy's 800,000 storekeepers since 2005, so why shouldn't creatives of all ilk go directly to the source of buyers? Certainly, Dora Woodrum appears successful and -- for certain -- her follow persuaded me to both follow-back and check out her website. And write this blog.

In short, thanks Dora, for showing others that solopreneurs with products to sell can tweak the social media model to work for them.

--Scrubbed by MarketingBrillo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the article! :)
I do all of my own marketing "solopreneurship" I spend alot of time and effort in in my art & promoting it. It is my passion!
I feel that if you believe in yourself and think positive "All things are possible" and...as with anything in life "What you put in is what you get out"

Dora
www.NiceModernArt.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for the article! :)
I do all of my own marketing "solopreneurship" I spend alot of time and effort in in my art & promoting it. It is my passion!
I feel that if you believe in yourself and think positive "All things are possible" and...as with anything in life "What you put in is what you get out"

Dora
www.NiceModernArt.com