So, if mass market and mass culture are dead, then mass marketing also is finished. The following developments offer a few small clues to what may be ahead:
- Mass direct mail becomes highly targeted, variable data printed communication.
- National TV advertising shifts to targeted online placement.
- Mass product frenzy for the likes of Starbucks shifts to mom ‘n pops.
- Mass email marketing migrates to on-line social media like Facebook and Twitter.
- Telemarketing implodes into highly sophisticated customer service call centers.
- Online news adopts the “hyper-interest” approach.